Friday, June 22, 2012

up in flames

     My current project is a piece of furniture, of choice, for a specific place. Since my parents are renovating the apartment, I took advantage and went back to an old project of mine - a bookshelf for my room. I have been playing around with the idea since I was in high school, drawing different models, as i was imagining it, without having the idea of the entire room in my head. Now that things have changed, so did the original design. I wrote before about my interest in Moroccan style and the research I was doing on it. Having that said, I thought I should implement this research in my design. With a clear image of my room overall, I started designing my bookshelf as an inspiration from my research.
     So, let Coldplay play its best, and may this project be a success! :)

     During this search of style, I started focusing more on the form rather than the color, so I took an interest on their geometrical meaning and as I was going deeper, my way deviated a bit, and got an interest in the 8-pointed star. The Moroccan Zellige patterns usually culminate centrally in the Rub El Hizb, which was initially used in the Qur'an, and it's main purpose was to facilitate the reading of the Qur'an.
     The 8-pointed star (two overlapping squares) is the symbol used as a marker for the end of a chapter in Arabic calligraphy, but it is also the symbol of Tartessos, an ancient civilization based in Andalusia, which was ruled by Islamic dynasties for over 8 centuries; that leading to a possible origin of the Rub El Hizb ( Thank you, Wikipedia !!!!).
     Getting even deeper, the roots of this 8-pointed star is based in Hinduism. The star of Lakshmi, a Hindu goddess, is a complex star figure, and it represents Ashtalakshmi, the eight forms, or "kinds of wealth" of the goddess Lakshmi - prosperity, good health, knowledge, strength, progeny, and power.
     With all that being said, I have designed my bookshelf as an inspiration from all that. I have to admit, I had few different models of it, but one stood out and was named the winner. I am presenting you right now only my inspiration board, and a rough 2D drawing of how it will look like.
     Thank you!













Images via Google